MsGeek.Org v2.0

The ongoing saga of a woman in the process of reinvention.
Visit me at my new blog, MsGeek.Org v3.0
http://msgeekdotorg.blogspot.com/



Heard the Word of Blog?

Monday, July 04, 2005

OK, here's my thoughts on patriotism.

1.) Dissent is patriotic. Decrying dissenters as unpatriotic is not.
2.) The American Flag belongs to Us as much as Them. Don't be afraid to fly it. Although you might consider flying it upside down as a symbol of the distress we are in under the GW Bush Administration.
3.) Disagreeing with the war but going off to serve anyway is patriotic. Cheerleading for the war but not being willing to sign those enlistment papers and go off to serve is not.
4.) "My country, right or wrong" is not patriotic. "My country, right AND wrong" is. This is my country, regardless of whether I think it's on the right or wrong track. And it behooves us, if we see the country headed down the wrong track, to get it back on the right track.
5.) Some of the Founders were deists. Some, like Ethan Allen and Thomas Paine, were downright Atheist. Patrick Henry, on the other hand, was a professing Christian. He was in the minority among these interesting folks.

Happy 4th of July!