MsGeek.Org v2.0

The ongoing saga of a woman in the process of reinvention.
Visit me at my new blog, MsGeek.Org v3.0
http://msgeekdotorg.blogspot.com/



Heard the Word of Blog?

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Good news out of Woodbury University: I will only have to take one placement test on August 2nd, and that's the Computer Literacy test. No math test! I guess what will happen is that I will have to take their equivalent of Math 125/Algebra II there, based on the fact I passed (YES!) Math 113 and Math 114.

However: the fact that their idea of Computer Literacy is how well you use Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Access and Microsoft Outlook is distressing, to say the least. Even though I have Office 2000 on the Windows partition of my ThinkPad and Office v.X on my iBook, I used OpenOffice.Org for 99% of my school work. The Woodbury University attitude towards Free/Open Source software is troglodytic to say the least. They are thoroughly owned by Microsoft. Never mind that Free/Open Source operating systems and software could save strapped students and strapped University administrators serious money. Never mind that even in situations where I needed to submit papers electronically, the .DOC files I created in OO.o were able to be opened seamlessly by the Microsoft-centric Profs at LA Valley College.

I plan to make one of my projects at Woodbury, and also my mission as an alumna of LAVC, to get both Woodbury and the LA Community College District using Free/Open Source alternatives on campus. Certainly with LAVC having to scale back their rebuilding plans due to Prop A/AA funds drying up, any amount of cost-cutting would be prudent. And certainly not having to pay for Microsoft licenses would cut some costs, huh?

I guess I'm going to have to do some revisiting of MS Office for the purposes of this test, though. Ick.