MsGeek.Org v2.0

The ongoing saga of a woman in the process of reinvention.
Visit me at my new blog, MsGeek.Org v3.0
http://msgeekdotorg.blogspot.com/



Heard the Word of Blog?

Monday, June 20, 2005

I have certainly been remiss this past few days. I can't blame it on school deadlines, school's out. I can't blame it on work stress. (maybe on lack-of-work stress!) Anyway, here I am blogging again.

Saturday I went through a training with Literacy @ Work, and I am not sure that I want to be involved with them. If you read this blog at any length, you know that literacy is one of my big causes, along with progressive politics and Free/Open Source software. My main concern is this: is this program going to create a negative association between work and literacy? My husband once told me that watching me write on my computer is like being a ditch digger and coming home to see his wife puttering around in the garden. His association with computers is with toil. He worked for years as a computer typesetter. So even when I point out all the cool creative things you can do with a computer, he associates computer stuff with work. I suppose in a way it's good because he doesn't want access to any of my computer stuff and that means I don't have to worry about all the issues that come up in two computer geek families. But in a way I feel bad for him.

Sunday was pretty low-key, and I actually got to bed early for once.

Tonight's San Fernando Valley Linux User Group meeting, and I can show off my enhanced iBook. Having a 30GB hard drive plus 544MB of RAM in an old Blueberry iBook is pretty awesome. I still am not sure about some things about the machine...does it have an 8GB limit or not? If it does, I have to reinstall. Any Mac gurus out there?