MsGeek.Org v2.0

The ongoing saga of a woman in the process of reinvention.
Visit me at my new blog, MsGeek.Org v3.0
http://msgeekdotorg.blogspot.com/



Heard the Word of Blog?

Monday, December 12, 2005



What am I doing buying yet another computer? Am I certifiable? Well, maybe yeah, but $30 wasn't too much to blow on something to celebrate another semester wrapping up. I am now the proud owner of a lime green iMac G3 333 Rev. D, model number M7444LL/A.

Right now it has a 6GB hard drive, 64MB of RAM, and Mac OS 9.2.2. The HD is going to be wiped Real Soon Now and given either Debian GNU/Linux PPC 3.1 "Sarge" (Stable) or NetBSD 2.1. This is going to be the experimental server I have been talking about for the past...how long has it been?...at least a couple of years now. DSL Extreme has given me 5 IP addresses now when I originally only had 2, one of which I had to pay extra for. They're going to waste now. I need to fix that.

I am debating whether to add more RAM or not. Apache really isn't very taxing, nor is sftp. But it would be nice to have more. More headroom for serving pages up fast. The picture up top is in a colocation farm and shows two Bondi iMacs (revs A-B) running as servers. They both look like they're still running Mac OS 9.



I am impressed by the good condition this little wonder is in. There are a few pen marks on the front (Trying to pry a CD out? Not a good move...) and the markings on the keys on the keyboard are a little worn. However, aside from that, it's teh roxor. I put it through its paces...booted it from a CD, checked the keyboard to make sure it was ok, checked the HD with Disk First Aid. Everything seemed kosher.

So now my orphanage has increased by one more foundling. I have decided to give this machine the netname motoko because it's going to be on the Internet 24/7 like Maj. Kusanagi after the original Ghost In The Shell movie. The green also reminds me of the eyes of the gynoids in Innocence: Ghost In The Shell 2. That unnatural green color.

So Motoko-chan...welcome to the Orphanage. You're going to be special. Just like all the rest of my silicon-based brood.