MsGeek.Org v2.0

The ongoing saga of a woman in the process of reinvention.
Visit me at my new blog, MsGeek.Org v3.0
http://msgeekdotorg.blogspot.com/



Heard the Word of Blog?

Tuesday, November 30, 2004


Math is a wonderful thing
Math is a really cool thing
So, get off your "ath," let's do some math
Math, math, math, math, math

-- Dewey Finn, School of Rock

With those immortal words, I bring the news that I am still passing Math 113!!! I can't freakin' believe it. Actually when all the ancillary quizzes get factored in, and if I keep this pace up with the Final Exam, I will come out of this class with a B.

I think a great deal of credit needs to go to two people: my husband Richie, and my Prof, Mary Hito. The rest of the "Math Army" I acquired during these three semesters have also contributed, from Jimmy, the guy Woodbury got to tutor me, the tutors in the Math Lab and in the Learning Center, Karmia from Plastic.Com, etc.

I also think that I've found that my problem all these years hasn't been Mathematics, but Arithmetic. The Algebra stuff I've been doing this semester has been Mathematically rich, but also Arithmetically simple. I'm sure things will get more hairy once the Arithmetical complexity starts to get pumped up.

I'm in good company with this set of unique challenges. Not only Einstein, but also Poincare had trouble with Arithmetic. Both were undeniably superstars with Math.

I think I also know what I want to study when I get done with my BA in Psychology. I want to try to find ways to teach Math better, and to do the important work of finding ways to lower affective filter in the Mathematics classroom so that Math learning can actually take place. If the Affective Filter is up, you can't teach and the kid can't learn. Simple as that.