MsGeek.Org v2.0

The ongoing saga of a woman in the process of reinvention.
Visit me at my new blog, MsGeek.Org v3.0
http://msgeekdotorg.blogspot.com/



Heard the Word of Blog?

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

A few thoughts as I get ready to hit the hay...

1.) I'm not horribly worried about this Math 114 final. I think I'm going to do OK. And as I noted earlier, I could get a crappy score and still come out OK.

2.) Archive.Org is a world treasure. (I was going to say national treasure but they get stuff from all over the world, not just the US.) I knew about how they archive web pages but I recently discovered they are far more than just the Wayback Machine. I have been gleefully leeching old classic cartoons and other lovely stuff from their archives...it's an incredible site. And did I mention it's free? If you are feeling flush, please slide them some money. I'd do it but I seem to be perpetually broke. :P

3.) The bounty of public domain and Creative Commons-licensed art, music, film and literature available at Archive.Org raises an important point. The Sonny Bono Act really "boned" us out of millions and millions of works when it extended the copyright protection period to, for all intents and purposes, a nearly unlimited time. This means that works with rights owned by a large corporation could be locked away for a practically indefinite period because they are not in demand enough to make a re-release profitable, but not surrendered to the Public Domain because they enrich a company's Intellectual Property portfolio. Something needs to be done to fix copyright laws. My Congressman, Howard Berman, and my two Senators, Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein, are completely and thoroughly 0wnz0r3d by the RIAA and MPAA and therefore are almost hopeless cases to convince. I hope others are luckier. This is too important to let fade away. The Public Domain is largely cut off at 1923 by the Bono Act. It will take until 2019 for those works renewed under the Bono Act to pass into the Public Domain. Of course this is a situation which Disney and other IP barons will probably petition for relief in a few years time. :P