MsGeek.Org v2.0

The ongoing saga of a woman in the process of reinvention.
Visit me at my new blog, MsGeek.Org v3.0
http://msgeekdotorg.blogspot.com/



Heard the Word of Blog?

Friday, September 02, 2005

An email to George W Bush...

I know it probably won't get to him, but here goes nothin'. One of the only people who has stepped up to the plate in this slow-motion Apocalypse down in NOLA and Mississippi is the Mayor of New Orleans, Ray Nagin. And today he gave a desperate plea to everyday, common Americans to besiege their representatives and the President with email.

My thanks to LibertyTree at DailyKOS for the wording of this letter. If I had wrote this myself it would be knee-deep in obscenities and a lot less diplomatic. You are welcome to use the wording if you like.

Subject: Enough photo opportunities, Dubya...ACTION needed...

Dear Mr. President,

I am writing at the request of Mayor Ray Nagin of New Orleans, LA. He
has asked me, and every other American, to write to our federal
representatives and demand action in areas devastated by Hurricane
Katrina.

And unlike my government, when people in desperation ask for my help, I respond.

I know Congress has already allocated money for the relief effort, but
obviously that isn't helping anyone yet.

If you feel comfortable in knowing that you have done all that you
can, then I pity you.

You need to do more. Right now.

I am personally ashamed of how my government has reacted. You ought to
be ashamed as well.

You, however, have something I don't: the power to speak out, and be
heard both in public and in the halls of government.

Your country needs you and I need you to stand up and be a leader. We
are letting people die for no reason. We have the money, the
resources, and the people--all we need are leaders who will stand up
and take action right now.

The mayor of New Orleans should not have to beg the federal government
to save the lives of thousands.

But he did have to beg, and I am begging, and you should consider it
your duty to respond.

Urgently,
S. Michelle "Ms. Geek" Klein-Hass
Panorama City, CA 91402

I doubt that will do any good. Dubya seems out to lunch and off his meds today as he visits the disaster zones. I hope he is greeted with jeers, cussing, and maybe a thrown stone or two. He's 4 days late and billions of dollars short.