MsGeek.Org v2.0

The ongoing saga of a woman in the process of reinvention.
Visit me at my new blog, MsGeek.Org v3.0
http://msgeekdotorg.blogspot.com/



Heard the Word of Blog?

Wednesday, February 04, 2004

I haven't posted here for a few days because up until today this was vapor.

You know how much I have been pissing and moaning about my stupid opinion research job? Well tomorrow I can tell them to go get stuffed. I start with a work-study gig at LAVC on Monday. I can live with the hours, it's a pay cut from the pittance I got from the stupid opinion research job, but it's going to be a lot easier to take than getting yelled at by people when you are just trying to ask them a few questions.

Some observations from my year as a data collector:
Most impolite people: people from Arizona, Georgia and the Bay Area of Northern California
Most polite people: people from Texas, people from Sioux City, Iowa, and (surprise!)
people from New York and New Jersey...if you can convince them you're from there. Luckily from 17 years of living with a native of Plainfield, NJ, I can do a convincing North Jersey accent.
Most people will participate in a 5-minute survey, particularly if it's one having to do with politics.
You start losing people after the 6th minute.
You start having people hang up on you in mid-survey at the 15-minute mark.

There were a few interesting things about doing surveys. You get to take a peek inside a person's cranium for a few minutes. Sometimes you actually meet some nice people. You sometimes wind up caring for some of the people. There's a lonely old lady in Orange County I think about a lot...if I was the praying kind, I'd remember her in my nightly prayers. I hope one day her children will realize that their mom is a special woman who just needs some attention and love and respect. She's not asking for much. I can't mention her name, alas. I wish her the best.

This won't be a stress free job, by any means. Next week, when I start, is the beginning of the Spring 2004 semester. There's going to be a lot of people with screwed up schedules and people who can't get classes who have to get advice about what to do next. But at least they will be coming to me for help rather than having to deal with me invading their privacy on the phone.