MsGeek.Org v2.0

The ongoing saga of a woman in the process of reinvention.
Visit me at my new blog, MsGeek.Org v3.0
http://msgeekdotorg.blogspot.com/



Heard the Word of Blog?

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Spaulding Gray is dead. We were expecting it, true, but it still hits hard.

It hits hard especially since I have been depressed lately. I am currently in another skirmish with Financial Aid. It seems that since I have to take my math classes at a slower pace I won't be able to get financial coverage for the classes I need to take. Why? Because in August I had to work out a "Personal Education Plan" with counselors at Valley. Why that? Because if I didn't, I wouldn't get any financial aid at all.

The Financial Aid officers basically are treating the education plan, something that was entered into before I even stepped into my first math class, as if it is etched in stone. It sucks. Never mind that they are in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and any number of other regs if it is found that I have a legitimate math learning disability.

I suppose half a loaf is better than none, and getting a smaller amount of financial aid is better than none at all. I'm getting tired of fighting the bureaucracy there. It is clear their priority is not matching students with financial aid but saving the LA Community College District money. If the priorities weren't the way they are, I wouldn't have to fight this so hard.

There are other things that are depressing me right now, but I'd rather not blog about them. Way too personal.